Year 10 Bahasa Indonesia is the beginning of students’ senior study of the language. The course builds on the groundwork established at Year 9 and, with increased rigour, shifts to mirror the structure of VCE Bahasa Indonesia. Assessment Tasks and Examinations are designed as simpler versions of the VCE course.
Year 10 Bahasa Indonesia prepares students for VCE and incorporates more student-led subject matter, utilising more authentic texts and digital media to enhance students’ ability to communicate in a more immediate, relevant way both in the classroom and in the wider world. Year 10 Bahasa Indonesia visit a restaurant and take part in cultural activities relevant to their curriculum.
Students are encouraged to use the language by communicating in speech and writing to:
• participate in simulated and, where possible, real situations related to the practical aspects of everyday life
• interact with others in socially and culturally appropriate ways
• seek out and understand factual information conveyed orally, visually or in writing
• interpret, evaluate and use information for a specified purpose and audience
• understand, describe and react to events
• express, discuss, clarify and respond to emotions, ideas, opinions and values
• increase understanding and use of socially and culturally appropriate language
• develop communication strategies, including the use of relevant digital technologies
• expand knowledge and skills in the language
• manage their own language learning
• entertain themselves and others.
Work requirements are set in each topic, assessing the four strands of language learning— listening; speaking; reading; and writing. Mid year and end of year examinations are completed at Year 10 level.
The topics below will be adjusted to suit the students’ needs and interests. They may not be presented in the order below.
• Food and restaurants
• Health, Illness & Traditional Medicine
• Home and House
• Living in Indonesia
• Street Life, City Life, Village Life
• Young People, Youth Culture
• Travel – Yogyakarta
• Film, Television and Music
• Dance & Martial Arts
The VCE Baccalaureate
The VCE (Baccalaureate) has been developed by the VCAA. It is designed to encourage more students to include languages and higher level mathematics in their senior secondary program of study.
Students must satisfactorily complete their VCE to achieve a study score and their VCE program must include:
- a Units 3 and 4 sequence in English or Literature or English Language with a study score of 30 or above; or a Units 3 and 4 sequence in EAL with a study score of 33 or above.
- a Units 3 and 4 sequence in either Mathematics Methods (CAS) or Specialist Mathematics.
- a Units 3 and 4 sequence in a VCE Language.
- at least two other Units 3 and 4 sequences.
For more information on the VCE Baccalaureate refer to the links below:
OVERSEAS STUDY TOURS
Year 10 is the first year that students become eligible to travel overseas with the college. Overseas Language Study Tours are offered every second year on a rotating basis (with travel dependant on student numbers and in-country factors). Students must be studying their foreign language at Years 10, 11 or 12 in the year the tour departs in order to be deemed eligible to apply. They must also fulfil other eligibility criteria, including the demonstration of their commitment to their studies (across the board). Selection for overseas tours is via application.